Wednesday 6 May 2015

Text [3.1] — A Reference Analysis

Martin (1992: 127):
In this section the analyses developed in 3.3.2 and 3.3.3 will be applied to text [3:1], partly by way of exemplification, and partly to specify what it is that shows the text to be that of an immature writer.

Blogger Comments:

Before examining Martin's text analysis of text [3:1], it may be useful to compare it with a theory-consistent analysis of the reference in the text.  The 7-year-old's text under discussion is:
[3:1] at the zoo
One day I went to the zoo and I saw Rhinocerous I moved to a Hippopotamus I touched him and he is hand and he is big and so I went on and I saw the tiger and this man was feeding him it was eating it up Mum tod me mv on and next came then a gorilla. I had a baby gorilla. My mum tod me to move on. I saw a watch. It was 5 ock.
 
The reference items, underlined, can be analysed as follows:
the: demonstrative homophoric
the: demonstrative anaphoric to at the zoo
him
: personal anaphoric to Hippopotamus
he
: personal anaphoric to Hippopotamus
he
: personal anaphoric to Hippopotamus
the
: demonstrative anaphoric to at the zoo
this
: demonstrative anaphoric to at the zoo
him
: personal anaphoric to tiger
it
: personal anaphoric to tiger
it
: personal anaphoric to feed(ing)
I
(t): personal anaphoric to gorilla
It
: personal anaphoric to (time on) watch

11 instances of anaphoric endophoric reference vs 1 instance of homophoric reference
8 instances of personal reference vs 4 instances of demonstrative reference

No comments:

Post a Comment