Saturday 5 March 2016

Misrepresenting Textual Analysis

Martin (1992: 451-2):
In order to simplify the interpretation of New presented here, only the minimal domain of the New will be considered; this will be taken as the highest ranking clause constituent (usually a ranking group or phrase) the tonic syllable falls on the final salient syllable of. This principle determines the following minimal News for [6:38], which can be contrasted with the selections of marked and unmarked Topical Theme in the right-hand column.
minimal new in [6:38]
unmarked topical theme in [6.38]
the only real accident
driver (6)
‘ve ever had
friend (3)
in fog and ice
mini (2)
a big truck…on the side of the road
accident (3)
about three feet
there (2)
away
fog
very thick
it [e]
a mini
about twelve cars
into this truck

the mini

the offside

with its nearside wing

I
marked topical theme in [6.38]
my
when I came along
completely blocked

unfortunately

a four wheel skid

up to this mini

that

to deal

into the mini

sideways on

into me

a friend of ours

along

the lot

into each one

sideways

in daylight

the fog

needless to say

fog

great…now

yes

know

keep happening…in fog

allright

yes

yes

no-one injured


Blogger Comment:

For comparison, presented below are the culminations of New information as given in Halliday (1985: 60), alongside the actual topical Themes — including the one genuine marked topical Theme (overlooked by Martin). Instances where the culmination of New coincides with the Theme are indicated by colour.

culmination of new in [6:38]
topical theme in [6.38]
accident
the only real accident I’ve ever had
had

ice

truck
there
road

feet

(a)way

thick
it
mini
a mini
truck

mini
the mini
offside

wing


it
I

my

blocked

(un)fortunately
I
skid

mini

that
at that time (marked)
deal
how
mini
I
on
you
me
about twelve cars
ours
a friend of ours
(a)long

lot
he
one
he
sideways

daylight
this
fog

say
I
fog

great

now

yes

know
I
happening
they
fog

right
you
this

yes

yes

injured
there

No comments:

Post a Comment